Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Marketing - OSFA?

I think about the only time I don't like the fact I'm so backwards is when it comes to marketing my stuff... marketing myself.  I'm backwards and awkward and have issues from my deep past that keep my self-esteem lower than where I tread most days.  This serves me well when creating, but not so much for putting myself out there with all the enthusiasm of a courting peacock.

And it doesn't matter how many times I hear that I'm "brilliant" (biased husband), "compelling" or a "great story teller"; even if I believed it, none of that matters because I can't market myself.  And that's besides the fact that I'm not one of these super prolific writers that are always on top of their game.  (Even if they're not, it sure seems that way -- good marketing!! and constantly producing new content.)

I've thought for a long time that I'll have to die first in order to be recognized, probably not even then.  It's sad and pathetic, I know.  I'm nothing if not hyper-self-aware. 

So what can I do about my situation? 

I could "get over myself".  Sage advise, but sorely lacking in any help with how that's accomplished.  I could "buck up and do it anyway".  That's something I try to do, but afterwards I require half a bottle of ibuprofen and a shot of whiskey*.  I could Network.  I try that also, but it's difficult and painful at times for this socially awkward introvert.  I do love people, but it's very hard for me to truly open up which is exacerbated in crowds/groups.  Notice, however, I'm just fine talking to myself on blogs and SNS like twitter. heh

Thing is.  I don't have the answers.  Marketing, like writing... like art, can follow a formula, but sometimes the formula doesn't fit the individual.  Like those "one size fits all" pants that you know darn good and well don't fit everyone... I've never been able to squeeze my ample curves into a pair.  That's how I feel about marketing - trying to fit my overly womanly shape into a pair of OSFA pants.  Yet.  Yet, I keep trying because there doesn't seem to be any other garments available and it sure beats running around in your undies.  Though at times I feel like it sure would be liberating to do so!

What do you think?  How does marketing yourself and your art/writing jive with your style... do you do the squiggle dance to fit the clothes, do you rip the seams to make them fit you or do you flip off the system and go forward in undies?  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

*a slight exaggeration... I don't really consume alcohol in any measurable quantity.

No comments:

Post a Comment